Go hybrid with Roland instruments on your drum kit
The 2014 new Roland products with video demos
If you are looking for a way to make your drum kit more hybrid, Roland have developed some serious and easy solutions for you. One of the new products for 2014 is the TM-2 trigger module: an easy way to combine your acoustic drums with the versatility of electronic percussion through triggers. The new Noise Eaters litteraly digest a lot of the vibes generated when playing pedals. Drew Armentrout shows and tests the Eaters and also introduces the new Roland Kick Trigger Pedal. Also added is a video of the amazing Roland artist Michael Schack demoing the tools, recorded live at the Adams Drummers Festival in Belgium.
TM-2 trigger module
The new TM-2 trigger module is battery powered and small in size. It provides a simple solution for enhancing acoustic drums with the creative versatility of electronic percussion. Two trigger inputs support a wide variety of pads and drum triggers from Roland, while the ready-to-play pro sounds are optimized for augmenting live acoustic drums and extending the percussion capabilities of any drum set. Studio-quality multi-effects are on tap to process your kits, and you can even trigger your own custom WAV sounds, loops, and backing tracks via an SDHC card.
By combining the TM-2 with products such as Rolands BT-1 Bar Trigger Pad, KT-10 Kick Trigger Pedal, or RT-series acoustic drum triggers, it is very easy and affordable to create a hybrid drum kit that blends your personal acoustic and electronic elements.
TM-2 trigger module features:
- Over 100 ready-to-play professional sounds, ranging from acoustic drums and percussion to modern electronic instruments
- Includes many sounds and tonal elements designed for layering with acoustic drums, providing enhanced, high-impact sounds for playing live drums through a PA system
- Suitable for all genres, from rock and metal to electronic music
- SDHC card slot lets users trigger their own WAV sounds stored on SDHC media, from one-shot samples and loop phrases to complete backing tracks
- Two trigger inputs that support both single- and dual-trigger pads
- Simple and intuitive user interface for creating and selecting kits
- Process kits with effects such as reverb, flanger, delay, and more
- Compatible with Roland RT-series acoustic drum triggers and Roland percussion pads, including the BT-1 Bar Trigger Pad, KT-10 Kick Trigger Pedal, V-Pads, and V-Cymbals
- Powered by batteries or included AC adapter; runs for up to four hours on four AA-size batteries
- Included mounting plate allows the TM-2 to be attached to a hi-hat stand or drum rack with a standard multi-clamp
- MIDI I/O for triggering sounds in external sound modules, capturing MIDI data in music software, and playing the TM-2 from other devices
KT-10 Kick Trigger Pedal
The KT-10 kick trigger pedal can be used for V-Drums sound modules and other electronic percussion instruments. The all-in-one design offers fast, fluid response and a unique reverse-action trigger mechanism that makes the pedal not only compact in size, but also far quieter in operation than a kick pad played with a standard pedal and beater. THe KT-10 has a small footprint and is easy to use alongside an acoustic kick pedal in a hybrid drum set.
- All-in-one kick trigger pedal with low-noise operation
- Innovative reverse-action trigger mechanism
- Extremely quiet performance
- Produces approximately 75 percent less noise in the playing room than a Roland KD-9 Kick Pad triggered with a standard beater
- Small footprint and low-profile body, ideal for use in a hybrid acoustic/electronic drum or percussion kit
- Works with all Roland percussion products equipped with 1/4-inch trigger inputs, including the TM-2 Trigger Module, V-Drums sound modules, SPD-series percussion pads, and the HandSonic HPD-20
- Adjustable spring and moveable weights allow for customization of playing response
- Mix In jack for easy expansion with a second KT-10
Noise Eaters (NE-10/NE-1)
Sometimes the physical action of using kick and hi-hat pedals in a multi-level building can result in unwelcome noise and vibration being transferred to rooms below through the floor. Roland found a solution for that with the Noise Eaters. The isolating properties of Noise Eater products reduce this direct noise transfer by approximately 75 percent over using pedals without them. Multiple dome-shaped rubber dampers provide both efficient sound isolation and high stability.
In the video, Drew Armentrout demos the Noise Eaters and you see the result directly on your screen.
The NE-1 Noise Eater is a small sound isolation foot intended to be used as necessary along with the NE-10 Noise Eater. It features a unique rubber damper structure that provides maximum sound isolation in a very compact and efficient device. When using a Roland KD-140/KD-120 V-Kick or a hi-hat stand for the Roland VH-13/VH-11 V-Hi-Hat, users should place the NE-10 under the pedal and NE-1 units under each stand leg as needed.
Noise Eaters features:
Drummer Karl Brazil goes Hybrid with Roland
- Highly effective sound isolation devices for kick pads/pedals, hi-hat control pedals, and hi-hat stands used with V-Drums
- Reduces playing noise and vibration transfer through the floor to rooms below by approximately 75 percent, based on Roland test data
- Lets users enjoy playing V-Drums without disturbing family members and neighbors
- Ideal for drummers that live in multi-level homes, apartments, and condos; also great for multi-level lesson studios and music classrooms
- Use the NE-10 standalone with KT-10 Kick Trigger Pedal, KD-9 Kick Pad, KD-7 Kick Trigger, or FD-8 Hi-Hat Control Pedal
- When the NE-10 is used with a KD-140/KD-120 V-Kick or hi-hat stand for the VH-13/VH-11 V-Hi-Hat, companion NE-1 Noise Eater units (sold separately) must also be used under stand legs for maximum effectiveness